New Android Support Announced for 40 Series Radio Modules
Published on January 9, 2013
40 Series radio modules now offer support for Android 2.3 Gingerbread®. The same enterprise-grade feature set is available on both Windows® Embedded and Android®.
That feature set includes:
- Dual-band support: Reliable connectivity in both the 2.4 GHz band and the less crowded 5 GHz band
- Robust security, including WPA2-Enterprise with a broad range of popular EAP types
- Mobility, or fast roaming from one access point to another without any loss of connectivity
- Support for version 4 of Cisco Compatible Extensions (CCX V4)
- Ability to use the Summit Client Utility (SCU) for configuration and management of the Wi-Fi radio
- SCU support for the Bluetooth component of the 40 series radio
40 Series software for Android is made available to customers who request Android support in the early stages of development, as a specific driver is compiled for each customer.
The momentum behind Android support is the rapidly-growing adoption rate of Android for mobile computers and medical devices. Consumer-grade Wi-Fi radio modules do not provide the security and reliable transport of data demanded by users of mobile computers and medical devices.
The 40 series radio modules support both Android 2.3 Gingerbread and Linux kernel 2.6.37. Like the royalty-free Android software, 40 Series software is bundled complimentary with the hardware. In addition, support for 40 Series hardware and software is available at no additional cost.
To read the press release Laird Technologies Releases Android Support for 40 Series Radio Modules, click here.